In this article we’ll explain How to get rid of flies in house.Housefires are the type of flies which are part of the insect order called ‘Diptera’. All of these basically have one set of wings, and are commonly known as ‘nuisance’ or ‘house’ flies. These house flies are normally ¼ inch long and grey in colour. These are literally found in every part of the world, where people possibly live. They lay their eggs on garbage, animal faeces and even in organic material that has rotten. An infestation of houseflies is generally not a major concern to people, but because it can also cause and spread some diseases, people often look for ways of how to get rid of flies in house and some easy ways to prevent the infestations of them. So to help you out with this, we got you covered through this article.
As you scroll down, you will find out complete details on how you can get rid of flies by using both the natural methods and pesticides and repellents. So just keep reading below to check out all the info.
Are Flies Harmful?
Before we proceed further and find out how to get rid of flies in house, it is important to understand how harmful these flies are and why it is important to get rid of them. So in a lot of cases, the infestation of houseflies are just a nuisance and nothing more than that. However, flies can also carry bacterias and viruses, which can spread to a person when they bite. And so some of the most common diseases that flies can cause after it are as follows-
- Eye Infections
- Food Poisoning
- Typhoid Fever
- Tropical Infection known as yaws
How to get rid of flies in house naturally?
Apart from using pesticides, there are certain ways through which a person can get rid of flies naturally, and it is very well possible, but of course preferable for everyone. So details of some of the best and postental methods are provided below-
- Vinegar and Dish Soap- A mixture of dish soap and vinegar is considered to be an amazing solution for getting rid of flies. So to use this method, all you need to do is mix about an inch of apple vinegar with a few drops of dish soap in a tall and long glass. As you are done mixing it, just cover it up with a plastic wrap. Secure this using a rubber band and then poke out some small holes in the top of it.
Flies will get attached to the vinegar in the glass you have kept in and will fly through the holes you have poked. However the catch here is that the dish soap in the mixture will cause the flies to sink in instead of being able to land on the vinegar, which will eventually trap the flies.
- Flowers and Herbs- Different types of flowers and herbs both in the garden and outside area can help you a lot to keep the flies away from the house. Names of the best flowers and herbs used as a way of how to get rid of flies in house are as follows-
- Bay Leaves
- Venus Flytrap- These flytraps are basically the carnivorous plants which eat the flies and insects. If these plants are planted outside the house, they will automatically or naturally eat the flies that are present there. And if kept inside, then you might even need to feed these plant flies.
What actually happens in this process is that when a fly gets into the trap of a plant, it simply closes around the fly, which prevents it from going back outside. Then, this plant secretes digestive fluid which helps to dissolve the soft insides of the insect. It just breaks down the fly or insect for over 10 days, and then spit it out of the exoskeleton.
- Natural Trap Bait- You can also use some drinks or food items to attract flies towards it in order to get them into a trap. Options for it includes-
- Sugar, mainly molasses or honey
- Cayenne Pepper and Water- This is another effective method to get rid of houseflies. All you have to do is get cayenne pepper and mix it with water. Then, just spray this mixture around your whole house to deter the houseflies from coming inside.
Ways to get rid of flies using Insecticides and Repellents?
In addition to using natural methods for how to get rid of flies in house, you can also use repellents, traps & insecticides to get rid of houseflies. Some of the commonly used flytraps are as follows-
- Light Trap- These traps are basically the boxes which have a light in the back side of it to attract the flies. As the flies try to get near or inside the light, they will either get trapped or killed using an electric zap. Both of these totally depend on what kind of light you choose.
- Sticky Traps- These traps are simply the sticky papers which can be easily laid down or hung inside your house on walls, throughout. This might not be as effective as other traps, but can definitely be used & added to remove the infestations.
- Pyrethrin based Insecticides- In case you face a large house flies infestation, then only using an insecticide could be effective because these work quite well & quickly. Even though these are considered to be not effective in the long run because flies have very short life cycles and they develop resistance and their effect also fades away very quickly, these can still be used to get rid of them.
And so in case you do not want to use an insecticide, the pyrethrin based insecticides are the most common ones which are used for indoor fly infestations. So make sure to buy an indoor use insecticide & then ventilate the whole house well.
Thus, all these are the most commonly used ways for how to get rid of flies in house which works well and are effective!
Read more: saucy post.